I found this little treat on Pinterest and went out and bought the ingredients ASAP. I’ve been on a donut kick lately but making them at home seems like so. much. work. But then this glorious recipe came along…donut taste. Loaf work. Genius.
APPLE FRITTER BREAD. Stop reading. Start baking now.
This recipe was originally posted here at Rumbly Tumbly back in 2013. I COULD HAVE BEEN EATING THIS SINCE 2013?
Here’s the recipe: (I used lactose free milk but couldn’t find a way around the butter and added an extra 1/2 apple)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1.5 medium apples, peeled and chopped (any kind is fine), mixed with 1 T granulated sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan. (I followed Rumbly Tumbly’s advice and greased and then lined with parchment paper for easy removal)
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Beat white sugar and butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated; add vanilla extract.
- Combine flour and baking powder together in a bowl; stir into creamed butter mixture. Mix milk into batter until smooth. Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the apples and half the brown sugar mixture. Lightly pat apple mixture into batter. Pour the remaining batter over apple layer; top with remaining apples and brown sugar mixture. Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using a finger or spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. (mine took longer to bake but I think there’s something wrong with my oven)
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before drizzling with glaze.
So, so good.