I found this little treat on Pinterest and went out and bought the ingredients ASAP. I was able to easily create a Lactose-Free Apple Fritter Bread Recipe, thanks to the lactose-free butter that is now available. I’ve been on a donut kick lately but making them at home seems like so. much. work. But then this glorious recipe came along…donut taste. Loaf work. No lactose? Genius.
LACTOSE – FREE APPLE FRITTER BREAD RECIPE. Stop reading. Start baking now.
This recipe adapted from Rumbly Tumbly, originally posted here back in 2013. I COULD HAVE BEEN EATING THIS SINCE 2013?
Lactose-Free Apple Fritter Bread Recipe – Sunday. Morning. Must Eat.
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup lactose-free butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup lactose-free milk
1.5 medium apples, peeled and chopped
1 T granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup of powdered sugar
1-3 tablespoons of lactose-free milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, then grease.
- Mix the cinnamon and brown sugar in a small size bowl.
- Mix the apples with 1 T granulated sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the lactose-free butter and white sugar together using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in egg in 1 at a time, until just incorporated then add vanilla extract.
- In a fourth bowl, combine the flour and baking powder (I didn’t bother to sift.)
- Stir the flour mixture into creamed butter mixture. Then mix the milk into batter until smooth.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan, smoothing into all the corners.
- Add half the apples and half the brown sugar mixture. Lightly press the apple mixture into batter.
- Pour the remaining batter over apple layer, smoothing into all the corners.
- Add the remaining apples and the rest of the brown sugar mixture. Once again, gently press the apples into batter.
- Using a finger or knife, swirl brown sugar mixture through apples.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Make glaze by mixing the powdered sugar and 1-3 tablespoons of lactose-free milk or cream to a drizzling consistency
- Let cool for about 15 minutes before drizzling with glaze.