Like last night for instance.
Why does Christmas baking only happen once a year (and not at freakin’ Thanksgiving)? And yes, I could just make them now, but then I’d eat them all and they would lose some of their magic. Holiday treat magic…
Anyway, now you can dream about them too. Or make them…so, so good.
Here’s the recipe! Good old Eagle Brand. For reasons I can’t explain I can eat these despite my lactose intolerance. Many, many of them. All in one sitting.
- Servings: about 8 dozen
- Serving Size:
- Nutrition: See Below
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
- Green or red food coloring (optional)
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 pounds chocolate-flavored candy coating*, melted
- LINE baking sheets with wax paper.
- COMBINE sweetened condensed milk, peppermint extract and food coloring, if desired, in large bowl. Add 6 cups powdered sugar; beat on low speed until smooth and well blended. Turn mixture onto surface sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- KNEAD lightly to form smooth ball. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Flatten each ball into a 1 1/2-inch patty.
- LET dry 1 hour or longer; turn over and let dry at least 1 hour. With fork, dip each patty into warm candy coating (draw fork lightly across rim of pan to remove excess coating). Invert onto wax-paper-lined baking sheets; let stand until firm. Store covered at room temperature or in refrigerator.
- *Also called confectioners’ or summer coating.